Healthy for the Holidays Brussel Sprouts
This dish is one of my families absolute favorites, and it is super easy to make!
You can have this as a side dish, or even eat it as a meal. We ended up eating this for dinner and felt great! We weren’t too stuffed, or full, and it wasn’t heavy on my stomach.
As the Holidays are coming up, this is a great side dish to have for your dinners with families!
After surgery I made a promise to myself to try new vegetables, but also to figure out a way to make them flavorful and healthy. Lets be honest, we got in this position because of our lack of healthy eating habits. It’s time to say goodbye to those old ways, and its time to start your journey to a healthy life!
It’s not going to be an overnight fix, and please do not set your hopes on expecting that mindset. Changing your habits will require you to change them 1 day, and meal at a time. There will be months where you are battling with your food addiction. There will be days and weeks where you rock it! You might even go through a week pattern of highs and lows. But always remember, those are the patterns that come with changing your life. Remember, it is ok to fail. It is ok to have cheat meals, it is ok to not eat healthy every meal of the day. What is not ok is repeating the unhealthy eating habits meal after meal, day after day. Those patterns are what we are changing.
If you feel you are struggling with food addiction, or depression, reach out to your doctor. Be honest with them, and do not hide your emotions. The way to fully recovering from obesity is to address all areas of your weight gain. And yes, depression and food addiction could be one of them.
Don’t forget to check out my Bariatric/Weightloss Friendly Shopping list! These are Items i have used in my recovery stages, and continue to use on my journey to a new and better life!
This recipe is for 4 people for sides, and 2 people for full meals. Please adjust this recipe accordingly.
- First, Start off buy slicing 4 strips of Bacon into smaller pieces.
- I normally cut the strips of bacon into 5-6 pieces.
- Then place the Bacon onto your best pan. (Do not add oil. It will become too fatty. Your Bacon grease is enough.)
- While the bacon is cooking, slice your Brussel sprouts into halves.
- Cook the bacon until it is almost finished cooking.
- Check to make sure there is a good amount of bacon grease in your pan. That is how you know you’re ready for the next step.
- Now that your bacon almost looks finished, add the Brussel Sprouts into the same pan.
- Do not drain the Bacon Grease.
- I know that sounds unhealthy, but remember, you did not pre oil or spray your pan. The Bacon grease becomes that oil.
- Now add a pinch of salt. Be sure to go light on salt. Bacon is already salty.
- Next add Pepper, Garlic, Onion Powder, and a little bit of Cumin.
- Mix this all together and continue to let the Bacon and Brussel Sprouts cook.
- Next, add 1 Diced Red pepper and 1 cup diced Purple Onion.
- I can already see the comments now. Yes, you can use a white onion or a green pepper. Moderate this meal to fit you!
- Now, let these veggies cook all together for about 5 more minutes, or until the Brussel Sprouts and Bacon become nice and golden brown, and the veggies are slightly sautéed.
And that’s it!!! You’re done!!
Leave a Reply